"It's from the deepest wounds ~That beauty
finds a place to bloom."

Quote from the lyrics of musical artist Jason Gray's song: Nothing is Wasted.

Thursday, February 12, 2015

Cure for Anxiety

I've just begun a new bible study with my women's group at church and it's already made a HUGE impact.  ONE week and I feel changed.  And here's the irony, I missed several weeks.  Talk about God meeting me where I'm at in all things!  It's Beth Moore's study on Esther and it's amazing.  So last night I listened to the intro, through tear filled eyes and realized once again I'm exactly where The Lord wants me. Those God ordained moments blow me away every.single.time. 

Here's what stuck out the most: the most frequent phrase in the bible is "do NOT be afraid"...and yet every single human emotion or ailment is tied to fear and anxiety.  And I don't know about anyone else but for me it's increased tenfold recently.  (another reason this bible study is perfectly timed!)

When I'm feeling sadness about the loss in my life, fear immediately swoops in and tells me I will always experience loss. Then fear's sidekick- doubt speaks up and convinces me I'm unlovable; the next thing I know I'm isolating again out of complete dread that I will be rejected and abandoned all over again. 

When I realize the sadness isn't lifting and I've now entered a stage of despondency that threatens to swallow me whole and envelop me in an all encompassing abyss of deep dark depression...anxiety jumps right up and says "well of course because you will always struggle with this demon!"  

When my physical pain has taken another turn for the worse and I'm again stiff and achy, I tremble at the fear of what my future holds...dark gloomy days of nothing but chronic pain and misery.

When I can't fall asleep and I toss and turn, my heart begins to beat right out of my chest at the idea that I will NEVER ever sleep peacefully again. 

It's never "just" an emotion like sad or mad, it's always followed with dread worry and fear.  Likewise it's never "just" an illness or ailment, it's always accompanied with distress, anxiety and discouragement over what the future holds. 

But God knew our human hearts and frailties and therefore in His word time and time again commanded us to not fear and to take courage because no matter what our circumstances
He promises to NEVER leave us.  

Isaiah 41:10 
Fear not, for I am WITH you; be not dismayed, for I am your God; I will strengthen you, I will help you, I will uphold you with my righteous right hand. 

Phillippians 4:6-7
Do not be anxious about anything, but in everything by prayer and supplication with thanksgiving let your requests be made known to God.  And the peace of God, which surpasses all understanding, will guard your hearts and your minds in Christ Jesus.

Psalm 56:3
When I am afraid, I put my trust in you.

2 Timothy 1:7
For God gave us a spirit not of fear but of power and love and self control.

Matthew 6:25-34
"Therefore I tell you, do not be anxious about your life, what you will eat or what you will drink, nor about your body, what you will put on.  Is not life more than food, and the body more than clothing?  Look at the birds of the air: they neither sow nor reap nor gather in to barns, and yet your heavenly Father feeds them.  Are you not of more value than they?  And which of you by being anxious can add a single hour to his span of life?  And why are you anxious about clothing?  Consider the lilies of the field, how they grow: They neither toil nor spin, yet I tell you, even Solomon in all his glory was not arrayed like one of these.

Deuteronomy 31:6
Be strong and courageous.  Do not fear or be in dread of them, for it is the Lord your God who goes with you.  He will not leave you or forsake you." 

Psalm 34:4
I sought the Lord, and he answered me and delivered me from all my fears. 

1 Peter 5:6-7
Humble yourselves, therefore, under the mighty hand of God so that at the proper time he may exalt you, casting all your anxieties on him, because he cares for you. 

1 John 4:18
There is no fear in love, but perfect love casts out fear.  For fear has to do with punishment, and whoever fears has not been perfected in love.

Joshua 1:9
Have I not commanded you? Be strong and courageous.  Do not be frightened, and do not be dismayed, for the Lord your God is with you wherever you go."

John 14:27
Peace I leave with you; my peace I give to you.  Not as the world gives do I give to you.  Let not our hearts be troubled, neither let them be afraid. 

Isaiah 35:4
Say to those who have an anxious heart, "Be strong; fear not! Behold, your God will come with vengeance, with the recompense of God.  He will come and save you."

Proverbs 12:25
Anxiety in a man's heart weights him down, but a good word makes him glad. 

Psalm 23:4
Even though I walk through the valley of the shadow of death, I will fear no evil, for you are with me; your rod and your staff, they comfort me. 

Matthew 6:34
"Therefore do not be anxious about tomorrow, for tomorrow will be anxious for itself.  Sufficient for the day is its own trouble." 

Psalm 27:1
The Lord is my light and my salvation; whom shall I fear?  The Lord is the stronghold of my life; of whom shall I be afraid?

Of course I will still experience loss and sadness, pain and illness for that is life in a fallen world; but these scriptures filled with His promises give me HOPE because when "this" happens (whatever "this is) I don't have to be afraid.  I have God. 

I am going to take courage. I'm not sure exactly what that looks like yet, I'm sure I will have to learn as I go along in this bible study so I'm sure grateful to be a part of it.  
For sure I will be re-reading these scriptures and spending more time in prayer letting the Lord know I want to take His courage.  Because this whole trembling in fear and feeling shaky with anxiety thing sucks! That is not the life God intended for me.  (or anyone else!)

I believe God's Word is infallible and His promises are true so this is the cure for anxiety.  Which is good because drugs don't work for me! :) 












No comments:

Post a Comment

Please feel free to leave a comment. I'd love to know you dropped by!