"It's from the deepest wounds ~That beauty
finds a place to bloom."

Quote from the lyrics of musical artist Jason Gray's song: Nothing is Wasted.

Wednesday, August 27, 2014

Mid-life Identity Crisis Averted

I've spent my entire life trying to figure out who I am.  I've been caught in the cycle of defining myself by my circumstances (past & present) or my accomplishments and failures.  My childhood endured trauma.  Does that mean my identity is tied to being a victim?  I've struggled to work through all the pain and anguish it takes to survive. Does that mean my identity is that of a survivor?  
I became a mom at 19.  Does that make me a teen mom? I married my husband at 19.  Does that make me child bride?  I never attended college after completing 12th grade. Does that make me uneducated? I worked some part time jobs in customer service and eventually landed a full time position in collections; complete with salary, benefits and room for growth potential.  Did that make me a career person?  Once I lost it, did that make me a dead beat?  How about that battle with depression, inpatient stay in a psyche hospital and subsequent outpatient work and ongoing therapy?  Am I a mental patient? I've made some major mistakes in my marriage.  As a mom.  As a friend. Daughter. Human.  Do these things define me?  




I thought they defined me.   Until recently.  I continually saw all of these as how I measured up, or failed to measure up.  For example, since my childhood sustained abuse and neglect, I arrived at the conclusion that I must be unlovable.  My identity=orphan 

When we define ourselves by things of this world we put our security on shaky ground.  Jobs can be lost, relationships can fall apart, people can leave, trust can be broken, money can be spent, careers can die, education can be a dead end, health can fail.  And on and on and on.  We can succeed, we can fall short. We can soar and we can crash.  There is only one absolute we can define ourselves by. God Never changes. 

Herbrews 13:8 Jesus Christ is the same yesterday and today and forever.

Recently I decided to take a much needed social media break to do some reflecting on God's word and spend more time in prayer. My family has re-committed to attending church again after not going for over a year, so I've also used this time to catch up on last years sermons. (which are conveniently available online.) Today's sermon was on identity. It reminded me of something I had written last year so I took a peek back at an older blog titled:  Loved By Choice

A year ago, I was on to something...even then I believe the Lord was trying to reach me where I was at, to let me know I was loved by Him without condition.  He knew I was hurting too much to read His word, so He met me in my dreams. But now, that I'm knocking on that door, and seeking His face and asking, He is answering the door with arms wide open, showing me His face, giving me the answers and the validation in every single prayer, every devotion and every scripture. 

(and let me just say, God IS awesome!)

Ephesians 1:3-8 Praise be to the God and Father of our Lord Jesus Christ, who has blessed us in the heavenly realms with every spiritual blessing in Christ.  For he chose us in him before the creation of the world to be holy and blameless in his sight.  In love he predestined us to be adopted as his sons through Jesus Christ in accordance with his pleasure and will to the praise of his glorious grace, which he has freely given us in the One he loves. In him we have redemption through his blood, the forgiveness of sins, in accordance with the riches of God's Grace that he lavished on us with all wisdom and understanding. 

That is Loved By Choice my friends.  It couldn't get any better than that.  

THIS is my identity:
I am HIS, He CHOSE me.  I have but ONE purpose.  To live for Him. To share His Good news and let His light shine.


He chose you too.  He gave His life for you too.  I don't know who will read this, but I trust that God gave me these words and it will reach who it needs to and I pray that these words will touch your heart.  None of these material things define you.  The love of a mighty God defines you and it was freely given long ago on Calvary's cross.  I serve a mighty God and He will meet you where you are at, and He will take all your hurt and He will use it for good. It's His promise.  And I believe it because it is what He is doing in my life.  Beauty from Ashes.  







No comments:

Post a Comment

Please feel free to leave a comment. I'd love to know you dropped by!